Wednesday, October 30, 2013

31 days: October 30

Yesterday, as I was driving home with Sam from school, we noticed that there were things continually hitting the windshield.  He kept looking up and saying, "What is that flying around in the air?" I told him I had no clue, but maybe it was something coming from the trees down this particular road we traveled.

As we drove along, I could hear him doing his "self-talk" which comforts him, and knew he was probably thinking about an episode of Sesame Street or something.  You know... replaying every line of dialogue in his head... because he can... and because it makes him happy.  Sure enough, I looked over and he was smiling as he was quietly talking to himself.

Once we got home, I started dinner and as I was standing at the kitchen sink looking out the window, I noticed something.  There were ladybugs crawling all over the porch.  I smiled.  Then, I knew.  I yelled for Sam to come downstairs.  "I figured out what was flying through the air and hitting the windshield on the way home. Look outside on the porch Sam.  What do you see?"  He looked outside and said, "I see a wasp." "Look harder," I said with a smile.  "OH!" he said, "I see ladybugs!"  And, then he made me smile even more when he said, "Mom, I bet there are more than twelve."  And, of course,  I knew exactly what he meant.  "Yep, I bet there are Sam," I said, as he walked away humming...

4 comments:

Ginger said...

How fun, Jayne! I had never heard that song. I think it's ladybug season around here, too...

Robin Lamb said...

Jayne, score one for the Ladybugs!

The Bug said...

What a fun story :)

warriormom said...

Great story, Jayne, and now I can't get that song out of my head. I love how you knew just what Sam meant.